OT: question about streaming TV

5,099 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TDub
sec13forsc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am experimenting with using another source for TV than Direct TV.

We got the Amazon fire sticks and we have been testing Sling box. Doing this will save us $120+ per month per house.

My question is, have others tried this and do they have a recommendation for get USC sports. I get ESPN, Fox and NFL channel with Sling and Amazon. I think I saw the Pac12 network on there too. (Or it might be Hulu which we haven't gotten yet.)

Anyone else with experience with this to make suggestions about the sports?

We already get a boatload of stuff for a lot less than DirectTV. But the functionality is different and we are slowly acclimating to it. And haven't figured out the sports stuff yet.

Trying to lock down one house first and get it wired. Then moving to the next one.
usctrojan
Same situation as you DTV and sling

I'm streaming Roku with sling and amazon

Not willing to cut the chord yet but the stuff we get with Amazon is crazy good entertainment (Bosch, Fearless, Goliath, Red Oaks)

I added sling just to get SC games. Problem is you can't record them but at least get to watch

TDub
Staff
I asked the "kids" and they said Playstaion Vue might be the ticket you're looking for. The internet speed is also important as well as how many devices are being used at one time.
Mongo Slade
I'm a long time DTV guy simply because of the Sunday Ticket. It's ridiculous how much I'm spending and I've been thinking about cutting the cord too. I've heard the issue is while it's cheaper, you have to pay by screen (a la Netflix). How's that working out?

Also, do you get local channels on Sling? I have Roku, and AppleTV but don't think there are local options.

It just seems that by The time I add up all my streaming channels. I may as well have stuck with DTV.
Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
bigtrojaned
so I cut the cord about 6 months ago. I tried both Sling and Hulu but went with Hulu because I like their platform better than Sling. Only issue with Hulu, buffering during sporting events gets to be irritating. It has to do with them because my internet is pretty fast. I am waiting for You Tube to come out with an app to try them. The good thing is you will get access to most of the apps that are out there with either. SO if you have an issue you can switch from Hulu or Sling to ESPN. I have found an alternative to the Pac 12 network but it isn't legit/frowned upon because of how you have to access it.
usctrojan
bigtrojaned said:

so I cut the cord about 6 months ago. I tried both Sling and Hulu but went with Hulu because I like their platform better than Sling. Only issue with Hulu, buffering during sporting events gets to be irritating. It has to do with them because my internet is pretty fast. I am waiting for You Tube to come out with an app to try them. The good thing is you will get access to most of the apps that are out there with either. SO if you have an issue you can switch from Hulu or Sling to ESPN. I have found an alternative to the Pac 12 network but it isn't legit/frowned upon because of how you have to access it.
That is one of the reasons I dumped netflix... and agree hulu sports are better. It is a matter of time before the streaming technology improves to the point I'll cut the cord. ATT bought DTV for a reason. It is coming sooner than most think.
bigtrojaned
I just started the free trial with You Tube because I have an apple tv. I really like their platform a lot better than Hulu. Unlimited DVR space, most of the same channels except Viceland, 6 accounts and the dvr is on each account and three concurrent streams. Now I need to see the ease of use for my parents, they watch my kids, if they can use it with no issues it will be a keeper.
TDub
Staff
I guess I need to check the status on these exclusive streaming series before I start watching. I binged the 2nd season of Shut Eye on Hulu only to find out they canceled the series with a cliffhanger ending. So pissed off right now.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.